Title:The Little Notebook
Character/s: Arthur, Merlin
Summary: Arthur shows Merlin his gratitude journal.
Word Count: 491
Prompt: #290 Gratitude List
Author's Notes: Yay! I'm finally back doing drabbles!
The Little Notebook
“What are you writing, Arthur?”
“Oh, that’s the little notebook Gwen gave you, isn’t it!” crowed Merlin.
Arthur shifted in his seat and ducked his head to hide his blush. “Yeah, so what.”
Merlin slipped behind Arthur’s chair, put his arm around his lover’s neck, and kissed the top of his head. “I’m sorry for interrupting.”
Merlin busied himself with polishing Arthur’s armor, knowing that Arthur would find it easier to write in solitude.
Arthur sat pensive and then began to write rapidly. Finally, he threw down his quill and called Merlin to his side. He glanced up at Merlin with a look of embarrassed chagrin and handed him the little notebook. “Here, read this.”
“Yes, really,” Arthur answered, clearly exasperated.
Merlin took the book from Arthur, sat down on the edge of the bed, and began to read. Arthur fidgeted a bit, and then sat down next to Merlin, slipping his arm around Merlin’s waist.
1) I am grateful that Camelot is safe and prosperous.
2) I am grateful for the good weather and harvest.
3) I am grateful that my knights are the best of the best.
4) I am grateful to have true friends who tell me the truth and care enough to challenge me to be better.
5) Even though I miss him, I am grateful that my father is gone, so that I have been able to begin to heal the land of the persecution of magic and keep my loved ones safe.
6) I am beyond grateful that the love of my life is now safe from being persecuted just for being himself.
7) I am deeply grateful that these changes came in time for my sister to turn from evil, and that she can find her way to trust and work with me.
8) I am more grateful than I can begin to say that my clumsy fool of a former manservant has saved my life and saved the day again and again.
9) I am profoundly and utterly grateful that Merlin was brave enough to trust me and tell me the truth about both his magic and his love for me.
10) I am both grateful and awestruck to be loved, admired and supported by someone powerful enough to put me in my place.
11) I am grateful that I can show him this and know that he won’t laugh, and that it will mean as much to him as it means to me.
12) I am grateful.
13) I may even be grateful to that giant lizard who might possibly have had a hand in bringing us together.
Merlin closed the little notebook and sniffled, surreptitiously wiping tears from his eyes. He reached over and placed the book on the nightstand. Then he stood up, turned back towards Arthur, and wrestled him into the pillows, saying, “ I love you, and I’m going to write my gratitude list all over every inch of your body. Then you’ll have something else to add to your list…if you are still coherent.”