Photograph

Author: salamandair
Title: Photograph
Rating: G
Pairing/s: Merlin/Arthur Pendragon
Character/s: Merlin, Arthur Pendragon
Summary: Merlin stumbles upon Arthur being sentimental for once
Warnings: N/A
Word Count: 498
Prompt: Cherish
Author's Notes: If the title reminds you of the Nickelback song, I’m sorry. Enjoy Methur fluff!

“There you are.”

Arthur looked up from his task of trying to carefully place a photo on a page of the scrapbook, and saw Merlin walking into the kitchen. Merlin immediately stopped and looked at the table with a raised brow. “What…are you doing?”

Arthur knew why Merlin was confused. The table was a mess -covered in various photos, Post-it notes; glue; scissors, and such - with a scrapbook open in front of him. Arthur usually wasn’t the sentimental type, so for Merlin to see all this and his husband together was odd.

Arthur sat back and gestured to a chair next to him. “Sit,” he said, then looked at the photo that was still to be placed on the page, as Merlin sat down. “I’m making a scrapbook about Ainsley.”

“Why?” Merlin asked. After a moment, he spoke again. “That’s a cute photo.”

The photo, one of Ainsley when she was just a year old, was of her walking towards Merlin, with Arthur and Gwaine behind him, looking like they were cheering Ainsley on.

Arthur hummed and looked at Merlin, setting the photo down. “Morgana took it while we were at the park,” he stated, then sighed. “I want her to be able to look at it when she’s older and…know that we loved her from the start? See how much fun we had together?” He tried to explain, then ran a hand through his hair and looked at Merlin. “You get what I mean?“

“I do, I do,” Merlin assured him, nodding. “What brought this on?”

“I have a scrapbook that my mum made, from when I was a baby until she died. I looked at it just the other day,” Arthur revealed. “That book is really the only proof that we had great times together, and I want Ainsley to look at the scrapbook and see what we did together, even if she doesn’t remember.” He chuckled then, and shook his head. “I know it’s silly, but—“

“It’s not silly at all,” Merlin demurred and cupped his cheek, leaning in and kissing Arthur’s lips gently. “It’s sweet. And I know she’ll appreciate it when she’s older.”

Arthur gave a half shrug, then looked at the mess on the table. “I’ll clean up when I’m done, I promise. Ains is with Morgana and Gwen today, so I wanted to take advantage of the free time.”

“I’m not worried about the mess. You’re going to clean it up,” Merlin grinned, then scooted his chair closer to Arthur’s. “Can I help?”

Arthur looked at Merlin, and returned the smile Merlin gave him. “Of course,” he said, then picked up the photo again and started to explain to Merlin what that scrapbook page was going to be about.

Arthur was going to make sure that the cherished memories they had with Ainsley would be preserved, so she could look at them when she was older. It helped him remember his mum, and maybe it would help her remember them someday.