Title: Last chance (Momo 11).
Rating: PG-17 (to be safe)
Character/s: Will, Merlin, Arthur. Mentions Ag(g)ravaine, Morgana and Mordred.
Summary: Arthur is not happy. Merlin is not happy. And what has Aggravaine got to do with this?
Warnings: To be on the safe side: Mentions age difference and a wishful, morally dubious (at best) relationship. And Will's poor humor.
Word Count: ~750
Prompt: #86 Autumn
Author's Notes: I hope this hangs together. (Edit: How do you get the time to not only write but also have it beta'd? You lucky lucky people...)
Part 1: Momo
Part 2: Observation
Part 3: Revelation
Part 4: The Hunter
Part 5: The Thief
Part 6: Face to face
Part 7: Retreat and regroup
Part 8: To bare your soul or to sell it
Part 9: So here we are
Part 10: I go la la la
Merlin put his phone away and the two men stood there watching each other in silence.
Not long after a tall blond man came sauntering, grinning at the sight in front of him.
- So Merlin, you’re a call girl now? I told you teaching paid like shit, man. Don't say I didn't warn ya!
Arthur recognized him as the hotel manager. Great…
Merlin smiled crookedly, nudging his head at Arthur. The man gulped and changed back into the man Arthur had briefly met before.
- Mister Pendragon. Forgive me, I…
Arthur waved away his apology in a near royal fashion.
- … Didn’t recognize me. Doesn't matter. Could I trouble you to opening the door for me?
- Yes, of course, Sir!
Will fished his universal key out, singsonging to Merlin thought his teeth as he passed.
- You could have warned me!
- Sorry. I wanted to see you, not work-you. And Arthur here... is Morgana’s brother.
- Oh! I didn't know she had a brother. Morgana is a Pendragon? Or you a Gorlois? Not that that is any of my... Are there any news then? Of her?
Will stepped aside, holding the door open. He let go as Arthur walked in and leaned against the door to keep it open. Will’s eyes flickered between Arthur and Merlin, filled with genuine concern. Merlin shook his head.
- Still no news. Arthur’s here for… other reasons.
- Oh. Is Mo still up for skateboarding after school?
- He seemed to be this morning. Things are a bit... complicated, but I think he wants to see you either way.
Will nodded and smiled.
- I'll call and let you know.
He left them. Arthur stood inside the room, leaned towards the open door. Merlin stood like he had, showing no sign of going back inside. They said nothing until Will has stepped into the elevator and was out of sight.
- Skateboarding in this weather?
- Indoor hall.
- Will is a friend from way, way back. He's a sort of...
- Uncle, I get the message.
Arthur finished the sentence for him. Mordred had a father and a cool uncle. No need to underline it.
- I was going to say 'big brother', but uncle might work. What message?
Arthur raised his eyebrows. Merlin rolled his eyes.
- Will is my friend. He has a key and he won't tell anyone about this. You are the one with the evil plot. Stop assuming I think like you.
Arthur glanced towards the windows again. The hail had stopped, but the clouds still hung low. It had been a gloomy autumn following a bleak summer. But Arthur had let himself believe that things would look brighter when Mordred came into the picture. He should probably thank Merlin, but he wouldn't be able to say it. He didn't feel any gratitude towards him at all. He only had Merlin's word that Will was who Merlin claimed anyway. His hand wrapped around the curled up paper in his pocket. First things first.
- What were you saying earlier. About Morgana and Aggravaine.
- I said it was Aggravaine who suggested that Morgana could leave and start her life over. You doubt this because Morgana didn't like Aggravaine and didn't want to have anything to do with him. I say doubt and not reject, because you wouldn't have run after me if you trust him as much as you claim.
Arthur did his best to keep a neutral face.
- Go on.
- Morgana was restless and unhappy. She didn't like to be told what to do and how to act. She told me Aggravaine said he could help her get new papers and she could start over anywhere and be anyone she wanted to be. But he was getting a bit... presumptuous.
Arthur breathed heavily through his nose.
- What do you mean by presumptuous?
- He wanted to go with her. Be her knight in shining armor. Sweep her off her feet and live happily ever after somewhere. But she tricked him. She used his connections, filled her paper work and vanished.
- That is preposterous! He's her uncle!
- He is your uncle. Not hers. Not a gene in common. He is nothing to Mordred and he will remain nothing. I am not letting that creep near either of them.
Arthur said nothing, his jaws clenched tight. Merlin stares at him and he stares at the wall. Arthur turned his back on Merlin and goes inside.
The door closed. Merlin watched it for a little while before he left.